Wednesday 1 January 2014

Evacuavi quae erant parvuli

Here is the famous verse 11 of chapter 13 of First Corinthians, which in English starts "When I was a child" and ends "I put away childish things".  In Latin it reads:

Cum essem parvulus,
loquebar ut parvulus,
sapiebam ut parvulus,
cogitabam ut parvulus,
quando factus sum vir,
evacuavi quae erant parvuli.

In English, this is:

"When I was a child, 
I spoke as a child, 
I understood as a child, 
I thought as a child. 
But, when I became a man, 
I put away childish things."

parvulus, -i  (m)  child  [from adj  parvulus  very small,  from adj  parvus  small]

2 comments:

  1. How could evacuavi quae erant parvuli be shortened but still retain the meaning "I put childish things away"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "evacuavi quae parvuli" would that be grammatically correct after removing the "erant"?

    ReplyDelete